These gluten free energy bites are delicious and they do not need to be baked so they are easy to make. My kids love to make them with me. They are packed with fibre, protein, iron, calcium, omega-3 fatty acids and flavour!
Everyone who tries my gluten free energy bites asks for the recipe so here it is! I never really make them the same way twice which is one of the reasons I love to make them so much. I find that as long as you keep the ratio of dry ingredients to wet ingredients approximately the same you can play around with the recipe a bit and they always taste good.
Here are exact measurements for your first time making gluten free energy bites. If you are adventurous (or don’t have all of the ingredients) try substituting some of the dry ingredients with your favourites. To make sure they are gluten free look for certified gluten free oats, nuts and seeds to ensure they are free from cross-contamination. I recommend Only Oats and Bob’s Red Mill for great gluten free ingredients!
Gluten Free Energy Bites
(Makes 30 – 40 Energy Bites)
- 2 cups gluten free oats (I usually mix rolled oats and quick oats half and half)
- 1 1/3 cups sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup gluten free chia seeds
- 1/4 cup gluten free hemp seeds
- 2 TBSP toasted buckwheat (this adds a nice crunch, but if you don’t have these in your pantry you can omit or substitute)
- 1 cup peanut butter (or other nut butter like almond, or WOWBUTTER if there are nut allergies)
- 2/3 cup honey
- 2 tsp vanilla
Optional Ingredients (Substitutes for the ingredients above):
- Stir dry ingredients together in a medium bowl
- Add wet ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined
- Roll into balls (a heaping TBSP each)
- Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week
These make a great filling snack for gluten free camping or picnics. My Celiac Family loves them and I hope you will love them too! Hope you enjoy these gluten free energy bites! I would love to hear about other ingredients that you try and really like.