I am very excited to share this recipe! It has been a game changer in our house. Since going gluten free, one of the things that My Celiac Family misses the most is flour tortilla wraps. Without even considering things like tacos, quesadillas, etc., we crave flour tortilla wraps filled with peanut butter or peanut butter and a banana (monkey wraps). These used to be a staple lunchbox item for the kids. They also make a great pre-workout snack for my husband at work. I loved eating wraps filled with Caesar salad. Since going gluten free we have tried numerous wraps in pursuit of one that doesn’t have to be warmed up (so that it can be rolled without cracking). The closest thing we have found is La Tortilla Factory Ivory Teff Gluten Free Wraps. The Teff Wraps work for my husband, but the kids don’t love them.
I discovered Gluten Free Oat Flour Wraps by accident. One morning I was making pancakes for the kids with Only Oats Flour and I made my batter a little too thin. As the pancakes cooked I realized that they would make a nice wrap. I cooked a large crepe-style pancake and used it to make a delicious Caesar salad wrap for my lunch. As I ate it I realized that these Gluten Free Oat Flour Wraps could replace flour tortilla wraps for most of the things we were craving – GAME CHANGER!
What I like about these Easy 4 Ingredient Gluten Free Oat Flour Wraps is that they are healthier than the white flour tortilla wraps that we used to eat. Don’t get me wrong, these oat wraps don’t quite have the structural integrity or shelf life of our old flour wraps and you have to be a bit gentle with them as you spread peanut butter on them, but it is worth it. They roll very nicely without cracking and they stay nice and soft. Best of all, I feel happy knowing that I am filling my family with fibre, protein, iron and calcium, not just empty processed calories.
Easy 4 Ingredient Gluten Free Oat Flour Wraps
- 1.5 cups Gluten Free Oat Flour (I use Only Oats)
- 1 tsp Gluten Free Baking Powder
- 1.5 cups milk (I use partly skimmed 1%)
- 2 large eggs
- Mix together flour and baking powder.
- Add milk and eggs.
- Whisk ingredients together until there are no lumps. (I use my immersion blender because it is quick and easy to clean and makes a nice smooth batter).
- Heat a lightly oiled frying pan over medium high heat. Scoop the batter into the pan (I used a soup ladle). Tilt the pan with a circular motion to spread the batter out. The batter should spread very easily, if it doesn’t add a bit more milk.
- Cook for about 2 minutes, until the edges start to lift slightly. Loosen with a spatula, flip and cook the other side for another 30 seconds.
- Allow to cool.
Yield & Storage
- Makes approximately 8 gluten free oat flour wraps. I store them in the fridge for a few days.
- Each pancake is around 100 calories with only 1g of fat and 5g of protein!
Once the wraps are cooked and cooled, I usually butter them with peanut butter or Nutella and roll them up into rolls ready for the lunchboxes. I make lunches the night before school and the wraps keep well overnight and are a big treat for the kids the next day. My boys are allowed to bring nut-butters to school (one likes peanut butter and the other likes Nutella). Our daughter is not allowed to bring nuts to school so I use strawberry jam or cream cheese on hers. My husband likes to take the rolls to work as an easy lunch too, he uses peanut butter and wraps a banana inside. My favourite thing to do with them is to make a chicken Caesar salad wrap, but I also like them with Nutella too as a little treat.
I hope you will like these Easy 4 Ingredient Gluten Free Oat Flour Wraps! I love how happy they make My Celiac Family and would be happy to hear if your family loves them too!